Who would you check out in a Human Library?

Anddd, this title sounds like a pickup line...Good job, Raashi. Whoops.
The things that happen when you try to get creative :P

Anyways...
Source

I found something that I thought was SUCH an incredible idea a while back, and just really wanted to share it with you guys!

So, about 15-16 years ago (it's crazy that 2000 is that far back now!) a guy named Ronni Abergal launched the 'Human Library'.

The premise?
Like at any other library, you can check out a book on a certain topic for a period of time. The difference - the "book" is now an actual human being that you can have a conversation with, form a connection to, and learn from.


Isn't this just such an incredible idea? It is things like these that are so refreshing, stimulating and restore my faith in humanity. 

I know that sounds super dramatic if you just read it plainly, but I think I mean that it's so endearing (and heartwarming!) that people of all different backgrounds, ages and lives, can sit down together for an open, honest conversation.

(Just saying that makes me smile ☺️ )

Source: Human Library Organisation

Abergel has said: "I figured that if we could make people sit down with a group attached to a certain stigma they don't like or even know about for that matter, we could diminish violence.

"Books" range from people who are deaf, blind, transgender, obese, homeless, autistic or a refugee - and more! This concept has travelled all over the world and is now in 70 different countries!

"Sometimes you see someone in the supermarket and think things about them, but you don't dare go ask them questions," Abergel said. "I wanted to build a space where you can ask them anything because they volunteered to answer."

A woman in Wisconsin brought her two sons, aged 11 and 13, to check out a book titled "International Woman, Leader of Color, Gender Justice" earlier this year - and told TODAY.com all about why:

"When else would my sons get the opportunity to hear a woman from Ghana speak about her experiences with racism after moving to the predominantly white city of Green Bay, Wisconsin?" 

A book volunteer in the library, Adam Jackson, a black man adopted by a white family at 6 months old, also told TODAY.com

"It was harder than I thought it would be to share my story...I did get a bit emotional, but I'm so happy I had the opportunity to enter the conversation on diversity in a meaningful way."


Things like this, they give me chills.

100% visiting a Human Library is now one of the things I have to check off in the lifetime.

What do you guys think of this initiative? What kind of "book" would you love to hear a story from?

New blog post will be up next Tuesday!!!

Until then, you can: Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Or follow me below at - 
They're all linked so you should just be able to click on them! :)

❤️Raashi
Share

11 comments:

  1. This is such a brilliant idea! I love the fact that it would lessen the prejudice in the world. I would totally try this :D


    aluminah.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh this is really interesting! I think you can learn so much from others so its such a good concept to be able to source and talk to different people! :) x

    Viva Epernay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, this is such an interesting & very unique idea, I've never heard of anything like this before! Definietly a good option for someone like myself who doesn't really enjoy reading, heh... It's always interesting to hear people's stories, and can I just say, those people are very brave for sharing their experiences. :) <3 I'm not sure whether we have a 'human library' like this anywhere in the UK, but I sure would love to visit a place like this one day! Thanks for sharing, hun. Hope you're well! Kisses. x x

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this idea is absolutely amazing and it definitely restores my faith in humanity! I think it's a great way to free society from prejudices and and it's also a great way to reduce violence. I would love to hear a story from an old person, they often got the best advice. Other than that I'd love to hear from people from different cultures and countries and I also believe that the stories of refugees would be interesting and heartbreaking at the same time. xx

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I had no idea such a thing existed. Seriously, this post was extremely educational to me, and I thank you for sharing it. For some reason I felt particularly touched by what the homeless man said. And yes, the only idea of having an honest conversation with people you wouldn't normally talk to must be an eye-opening experiece.
    xx

    www.stylebydeb.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe this idea existed! It looks really cool and it would be amazing to try out. I haven't talked to much people outside of my culture and region so I'm looking forward to something like this. I'm going to check out more about this later!

    Love, Richel. | Richel Goes Places

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha...but seriously, a human library - what a cool idea!? I think this is quite inspirational and could be great fun too.
    Christina ♥ https://caliope-couture.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I freaking LOVE this!!
    I didn't even realise we had some in the UK, either!
    What an amazing idea and so important. I'm like you; this warms my heart on *so* many levels.
    Mostly, strip away everything about us...what do we have left. We are human as is everyone else. What makes us unique is the story we hold and the story we're willing to share with others. There's so much we can learn from everyone around us. It might be more difficult to engage or give someone we find 'irritating'/'different' or 'difficult' the time of day but these are the instances where it is the *most* important. To break down prejudices, to learn and grow us individuals and as societies. Love this! Thanks so much for sharing because you've opened my eyes to something so simple, yet so amazing!
    much love!
    Ana

    www.namastefromananya.com


    p.s. Love this bit about the pick-up line, also ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, it sure did sound like a pick up line! But omg how incredible and unique is this idea, I love the sound of it, its so interesting. This needs to some how make a debut in the UK, you can sure count me in. Have a lovely week ♥

    tipscapsule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is seriously one of the most intersting projects that I have heard about in a while and I think it sounds absolutely awesome. I would have loved to take part in it as well, but am just as happy to read about the experiences other people had who were able to participate!


    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I've never heard about anything like this! How exciting! It would be so interesting to hear other peoples stories, we can learn so much from each other! It can also be a real eye opener to hear some of the sad stories people can tell, and that way really appreciate what we have.

    Memoir Of IK - Fashion & Lifestyle blogger

    ReplyDelete


Follow

Instagram

Powered by Blogger.

Pinterest

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *